Recent Fire Damage Posts
Smoke or soot damage in your home or commercial building?
Have you had a fire occur in your home or commercial building that caused either smoke or soot damage to your home? Call SERVPRO of South San Bernardino City today! We have the technology to determine to full extent of all damages done, even some not seen by the naked eye. Is there an odor that is lingering after the loss occurred? SERVPRO has the state-of-the-art tech and cleaning products to restore your home or commercial building to what it once was. Including the best of the best deodorizers and foggers. Give us a call and we can answer your back within 1 hour of the call and be onsite within 4 hours. We can give you and your family immediate assistance as quickly as possible to get you and yours back into your home!
Occupant Fire Tips
Are you in the middle of a fire restoration process with SERVPRO for your home? Sometimes occupants to a home that has suffered fire damages want to help with the process. We always encourage customers to let professional restoration techs handle all damage as certain attempts can make the damage worse(always consult with techs).
Here are some helpful tips for customers during a fire damage:
Keep Hands Clean: Soot on hands can cause more damage while touching walls, upholstery, and wood materials.
Appliances and Equipment: Make sure all appliances and equipment are cleaned of smoke residue are cleaned before using. If there is no available electricity, remove all items from refrigerator/freezer, and air out.
Upholstery and Carpet: Limit and activity with any damages to these areas. Movement can cause soot damage to set into materials. Before attempting to clean either, consult professional tech beforehand.
HVAC : If was operating during the fire loss, consult with professional restoration tech as steps to take for safety.
Walls: Do not attempt to wash.
Consumables: If any consumables were close to a water, heat, and fire. Do NOT use or consume as they may be contaminated and dangerous to your health.
Fire Safety Tips For Kids
- Quick release devices: If you have bars on widows or doors, these devices are used to release openings to make a quick exit from the home.
- Get out, stay out: Inform your children that if there is a fire that they need to get out and stay out. Even if there’s things or pets that are still inside.
- Fire Escape Plan: Create a plan for your family on how and where to exit in case of a fire.
- Practice: Practice, practice, practice your escape plan with your children at least twice a year.
- Phone Call: Make sure your children know how to dial 9-1-1
- Smoke Alarms: Make sure your home has smoke alarms throughout itself.
- Testing: Test your smoke alarms every 6 months and replace the batteries once a year.
- Alarm Sound: Test the alarm and teach your children what the smoke alarm sounds like
- Teach your children how “Stop, Drop, and Roll”.
Safety Smoke Alarm Tips
Smoke alarms only properly work by maintaining the unit itself. The following tips will assist you on maintaining your unit in your home or business:
- When the low battery alarm goes off, replace batteries IMMEDIATELY.
- Replace smoke alarms every 8 -10 years to ensure that they unit is working properly.
- Test all units monthly.
- Clean all units at least every 6 months. You can use a small brush to do so.
Here at SERVPRO of South San Bernardino City we assist with any fire damages done to your home or business, but we also would like to make you aware of ways to prevent fires from also starting or harming anyone in your home or place of work. These life-saving devices are can be easily purchased anywhere and only require a few minutes of maintenance each month.
SERVPRO Fire Pet Safety Tips
Here at SERVPRO of South San Bernardino City we not only care about the safety of our customers, but as well for their loving pets!
Below are some helpful tips for your furry friends to help with their safety against fires:
- Don’t leave an open flame unattended. Pets are naturally curious so when it comes to open flames like a stove or candles, it’s a sure way for potential disasters.
- Secure stove knobs.Be sure to use covers whenever you leave home.
- Avoid candles.If you have pets (especially cats), a lit candle can be a fiery temptation.
- Secure your fireplace.Sparks can fly out and either harm your beloved pet or if they have a pet bed near by it, it can catch fire.
If you've recently had fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of South San Bernardino City today!
South San Bernardino Wildfire Damage Event
The active wildfires here in Southern California are increasing their impact as growing Santa Ana winds add fuel to these devastating blazes that are encroaching in our area. According to the New York Times, new fires broke out in Malibu on December 7, with at least 96,000 acres already burned in the Ventura area and 116,000 acres in Los Angeles County. Evacuations have closed hundreds of schools and forced 200,000 of our neighbors to seek safety. The “Thomas Fire” in the Ventura area continues to burn with the aid of strong winds. This fire has caused the closure of the 101 freeway and a boil-water advisory was issued for Ventura County. Santa Ana winds The Santa Ana winds that are enabling the fires to rapidly increase their reach can have speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour. They are not expected to diminish until Friday into Saturday at the earliest. The National Weather Service has warned of “very rapid fire growth” in this area. SERVPRO Meteorologist Lela Davis said that the Santa Ana winds were already very dry when they reached the Southern California valley, allowing them to quickly pull moisture out of vegetation, increasing the risk for wildfires. For the first time ever, a purple wind warning was issued for today under the color-coded system used to advise about high winds. This purple warning pushed wind expectations from the “high” category to “extreme”. Ready to help Here at SERVPRO of South San Bernardino we are monitoring this wildfire situation closely. Our thoughts are with those neighbors who may be put in harms’ way during this event. In many cases, a wildfire can result in a total loss for a home or business, but in others it may be a partial loss, or can result in mild smoke damage. If your home or business is affected by a wildfire, SERVPRO of South San Bernardino is Here to Help®.
About SERVPRO of South San Bernardino
SERVPRO of South San Bernardino specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Fire or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (909) 521-7999
South San Bernardino Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South San Bernardino will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (909) 521-7999